What is Positive Psychology?
Positive Psychology and its derivatives such as Positive Education and Positive Psychotherapy is a new and exciting dimension of psychology which helps individuals:
- Identify their strengths
- Utilise their strengths to gain greater life satisfaction and make their lives more fulfilling
- Use interventions to help them let go of unhelpful thinking patterns and behaviours to make them happier
LIFE Positive Psychotherapy Program
The unique Positive Psychotherapy Program at LIFE is an individualised course of 10-14 sessions where we apply the latest tools and techniques from positive psychology and cognitive behaviour therapy to help improve your mental health and reach your full potential.
Reaching Your Full Potential
The science of Positive Psychology defines Three Pillars of Happiness. They are:
- The Pleasant Life – Learning the skills to enhance your positive feelings about your past (gratitude & forgiveness) the present and your future (optimism and hope)
- The Engaged Life – Experiencing Flow rather than just gratification as in the Pleasant Life Flow is engaging in an activity which you love or enjoy and it takes all of your attention, to the point where you lose sense of time. To help you experience more flow in your life you need to:
- Identify your Personal (Signature) Strengths
- Re-craft your Work, Love and Play to make the most of your strengths
- Derive Gratification from the above
- The Meaningful Life
- Knowing your signature strengths
- Using your strengths in the service of something larger than you such as your family, work, community service, religion etc.
What are Your Signature Strengths?
Dr Martin Seligman who has been described as the ‘Father of Positive Psychology’ and his team from the University of Pennsylvania has developed an online strengths questionnaire with Chris Peterson. You can complete this inventory to identify your top signature strengths at no charge. Over 400,000 people from all over the world have completed this questionnaire.
Just go to [www.authentichappiness.org] and complete the VIA Survey of Character Strengths. Note: you may need to register on the website to begin. The inventory takes about half an hour to complete and you can print the results for easy viewing.
Using the results of their strengths inventory, LIFE can work with you to explore ways to gain a greater sense of wellbeing and life satisfaction.
Positive Psychotherapy for Depression
Depression is a major issue in today’s society which affects a growing number of the population, particularly younger people. Most people believe that depression and happiness are emotional states beyond their control. Positive Psychothherapy exercises have been empirically proven to reduce depression and enhance wellbeing.
Counselling using Positive Psychology
Using the concepts and interventions of Positive Psychology to inform our work together can be a powerful way to enhance your life satisfaction and ensure that the goals you decide on will lead to greater well-being and a more fulfilled life.