Medicare Rebates for Psychologist Services
Medicare rebates are available for psychological treatment by registered psychologists under the Australian Government’s Better Access to Mental Health Care initiative. This scheme provides considerable financial assistance to people living with mental health problems, allowing them greater access to psychologists and providing more affordable mental healthcare.
Am I eligible?
Medicare benefits are available for a range of specified psychology services for people with certain mental health disorders, including:
Medicare benefits are also available to persons with the following conditions :
- Children with autism or any other pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) – aged under 13 years for diagnosis and under 15 years for treatment
- Children up to 15 years of age with any of the following disabilities: Sight impairment, Hearing impairment, Cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome
- Women who are concerned about either a current pregnancy, or one that occurred in the previous 12 months
- People who have a chronic medical condition and complex care needs
- Follow-up allied health services for people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
To be eligible to receive psychological services under Medicare, a person must be referred by his/her GP or in some instances by a psychiatrist or a paediatrician.
How do I access the Medicare Rebates?
Medicare rebated sessions can be accessed in three easy steps:
- Visit your GP and discuss your mental health concerns.
- If your GP believes you are eligible and would benefit from seeing a psychologist they will complete a GP Mental Health Care Plan with you and can make a referral to the psychologists you would like to see .
- Progress will be reviewed with your GP after your first six consultations with your psychologist. After this you can then claim your additional four sessions.
Get a Medicare rebate on the spot
If you are an individual referred to LIFE Psychology by your GP, you may be eligible to receive a rebate for 10 counselling sessions per calendar year (1 January to 31 December) through the Better Access to Mental Health Care Initiative.
In most cases, eligible Medicare Rebates can be processed on the spot by LIFE Psychology with the funds transferred directly into your bank account.
For more information about Medicare Rebates for psychological services, please view the Australian Psychological Society Medicare Fact Sheet.