Generous Medicare rebates are available for appointments with all LIFE psychologists.
What are Medicare rebates?
If you are referred to a psychologist by your GP or Psychiatrist with a Mental Health Care Plan, you can claim a Medicare rebate of $84.80 per session for up to 10 sessions of psychological therapy per calendar year.
Bulk-billing is available by some psychologists at this practice.
How many session can be claimed?
Currently, up to 10 individual sessions with a psychologist can be claimed each calendar year. A further 10 sessions can be claimed for participation in our group treatment programs.
Am I eligible?
Medicare benefits are available for a range of specified psychology services for people with certain mental health disorders, including:
Medicare benefits are also available to persons with the following conditions :
- Children with autism or any other pervasive developmental disorder (PDD) – aged under 13 years for diagnosis and under 15 years for treatment
- Children up to 15 years of age with any of the following disabilities: Sight impairment, Hearing impairment, Cerebral palsy, Down syndrome, Fragile X syndrome
- Women who are concerned about either a current pregnancy, or one that occurred in the previous 12 months
- People who have a chronic medical condition and complex care needs
- Follow-up allied health services for people of Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent
To be eligible to receive psychological services under Medicare, a person must be referred by his/her GP or in some instances by a psychiatrist or a paediatrician.
Is there a gap payment?
The Medicare Rebate covers most of the appointment cost. Bulk-billing is available for Low Income Health Care Card holders.
How do I access the Medicare Rebates?
Medicare rebated sessions can be accessed in three easy steps:
- Visit your GP and discuss your mental health concerns.
- If your GP believes you are eligible and would benefit from seeing a psychologist they will complete a GP Mental Health Care Plan with you and can make a referral to the psychologists you would like to see .
- Progress will be reviewed with your GP after your first six consultations with your psychologist. After this you can then claim your additional four sessions.